Thursday, June 01, 2006

Whatever, just pick one

We bought this house from a couple called Tim & Joy. We met them, and we figure they're in their late 50's/early 60's. Not depression era folk. Both employed by the university. Living in a really nice neighbourhood. Which doesn't explain at all why all the house repairs and maintenance done look the way they do.

Perhaps at one point they were infected with the Good Neighbours disease (a show we really like btw) in which they were going to be self-sufficient? Why do it right, why buy the right part, why buy a matching unit, when you can just make do with this, this thing you've found lying around in the shed, or by the side of the road, or that little scrap of plastic your neighbour put out with the trash? Yeah! That will do.

And even if you do need to buy something, hell, just grab the first one you see. The first photo gallery of what we call "tim jobs".

Light switches and electrical outlets. First floor sampling only. Open floor plan. Only 1300 sq feet on this level. But a veritable United Nations of outlets.


Brass? Yeah, brass is nice.


No wait, maybe beige plastic is better.


Oooooh Joy! Look - 3 switches, and a dimmer! I have no use for the middle one but that's OK. Tim, make sure you wire it properly. We don't want that new girl Hornblower getting zapped & having the dimmer blow out the first day she touches it. Yeah, yeah Joy. I know what I'm doing.


You know, brown is nice. It's like, almost antique looking. These young folks like that. We'd better keep it.


But brass is so nice. Maybe a nice square one this time, for a change?


This - now this is a NICE unit. Lovely dark plastic, and just look at that big round button! Don't you just want to fiddle with it? Don't you? It's great. It turns and you can push it in. The other buttons are a bit difficult. They're not quite buttons and not quite toggles. Kind of a mixed breed. You have to touch them just right. But man, it looks great.
But these brown things are just fine. And you know what, just for fun, I'll install some of the upside down, so the big round hole for the grounding prong sometimes goes on top, and sometimes goes on the bottom! 'Cause that's some much fun when you're scrambling around trying to plug something in, especially when it's behind furniture, and you're guessing which way and you get it wrong! Yipppeee. Makes vaccuming an even more exciting adventure.
And style wise? Well, you can't go wrong with brown. It's like chocolate. And everyone likes chocolate.
Hey Joy, when I put in the new tap in the bathroom, I thought I'd spiff it up a bit with one of those new lightswitches too. Whad'ya think? And yanno, 'cause I wouldn't want to get just the plain one for $3, I'll spend $30 on the dimmer. Because often, when I'm brushing my teeth, or hell, just sitting on the throne, what I want is mood lighting. I don't want that glare. I want to be able to dim my bathroom lights. Yeah. That'll be good. And I'll even install a timer for the vent fan. That will pretty much sell this house I think.
Now Joy, don't ask me to change this switch. This is a unique. I don't know anyone else who has this. It looks like it might be a dimmer, but it's not. It's just a switch. But doesn't it look important? I like to pretend I'm like an astronaut, going on a mission, and just before take-off, I need to turn on this switch - and that's totally what it looks like. Yeah, brass and beige plastic.
'cause brass and beige plastic are really some of my favourite things.

If you look at yesterday's entry, you'll see that we changed all the outlets in Amelia's room. They're all slowly getting changed into nice, plain, white ones. (yeah, I know, not very pc of me). That part is easy. I'm just a bit more worried about some of the actual wiring. Oh yes, Tim did wiring, with apparently the same reckless abandon.

(Oh & in my May 30 entry, just above Daisy sprawled on the floor, you'll see a sample of yet another outlet - beige with the grounding prong on the bottom this time. I'm too tired to take a close up of that one. )

Tags: -

6 comments:

Wisteria said...

I love your photo gallery!! My dad is so like this. He offered to help with some of the wiring of this house and showed up with his collection of scavenged switches and plugs. He owns a hardware store and could have gone and picked a matching set. He is not depression era either, just not picky. He saw the disappointment on my face and asked what was wrong. I told him that it would be nice if everything was the same color in the house. He didn't get it. This is the same man who could drive past your house and notice that the car window was down. The funny thing about the switches, plugs, and plates is that they are relatively inexpensive and no one should have to suffer the disquiet caused by multiple colored and styled switches.

Staci Eastin said...

Too funny.

Our house was remodeled by depression-era rednecks. Lots of fun, that.

The worst? Learning that the basement shower was simply built on top of a basement floor drain. And not connected. How did we learn this? When the carpet in the adjacent storage closet started to mold. Yeah.

Your new house looks great, by the way.

Staci

Anonymous said...

Looks like he lived in our house first... we counted over 23 types of linoleum in our basement when we bought it, myriads of types of screws holding shelving (made of all sorts of scrap wood)... the list could go on.

Hester

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL Have Tim and Joy ever lived in the states? I think we bought a house from them once. I still have nightmares about the way the AC was wired...

Dy said...

Oh, God, thanks for the laugh! (I laugh WITH you, remember.) I do believe that Cassandra and whats-his-name are related to your people. Only they had a flooring fetish.

We're being bold and going with "almond" outlet covers. All almond, all the time, except for, of course the one outlet in the ONE FRIGGING CONFIGURATION that they DON'T MAKE COVERS FOR IN ALMOND! Just too bold, I suppose...

Sounds like you're making great progress.
Dy

Anonymous said...

Just had to say thank you -- I was literally on the verge of a huge crying jag of frustration and fatigue, when I decided to soothe my soul by reading blogs. I'm now crying, all right, but it's because the whole photo gallery was wet-my-pants funny.

Priceless.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!