Today.Holy cold weather, batman!
We haven't seen really any snow here all winter and now this?
I didn't even take the kids up to the mountains this year because I didn't know where our snow gear is stashed. And now we have snow down by the mighty Fraser River.
Seeing as I live in a really hilly part of town, chaos is reigning outside. I just spoke with the postie who said several streets are closed already. I can see the tail end of an 18 wheeler which is abandoned around the corner from us.
People snort about Vancouver drivers in snow and it's true that Vancouverites by and large don't get enough practice doing it. We also have a large immigrant population who seem to assume that their large and expensive vehicle should be able to drive in any conditions without any additional training for their driver.
BUT. In defence of Vancouver drivers, I'll say that Vancouver snow is always very wet and slushy and it's quite different from driving on nice dry snow like you get in the interior. It's just not easy to drive on.
4 comments:
We had a snowstorm yesterday complete with thunder and lightning--very weird! Even here in Colorado where we get more snow than you, people do not know how to drive in it. For some reason they think their 4 wheel drive will not only drive through the snow but it will also stop on the ice! Obviously not so!
People always laugh at us Oregonians and our wimpy snow behaviour too - but when you don't get much of it (about 3 days a year) it is hard to get used to!
I love snow days - probably because they are so rare around here.
Bad drivers are prolific everywhere! And the key to safe snow driving is speed. The slower the better. But that's hard to do when everyone is always rushing. It's just easier to stay home sometimes.
I think this storm system was the same one that dropped a huge snowstorm on us early this week. What fun!
We have bad snow drivers, too. Usually the first snowstorm of the season is the worst,people have forgotten how to handle it. And Randi's right- those with 4-wheel drive think they can plow through anything.
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!