Thursday, June 16, 2005

Keep friends close, live longer

"The bonds of friendship may help us to live longer, say researchers who found a strong social network was more important than family ties for survival."
There are lots of reasons to have friends and work on friendships. But here's another. People with a strong social network of friends live longer.

Contact with family didn't have this effect & I bet I know why. Family is often stressful. You don't get to pick them (other than your spouse) and sometimes they just bug the hell out of you. I figure families end up having a neutral effect because for every person who has wonderful family members who do great stuff and are wonderful to know, someone else has toxic, miserable family members. They cross each other out.

But friends - well, we choose our friends.
full story

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!