Yes, it was just another day aboard HMS Indefatigable. Some chores, a visit from friends, a trip to the doctor to see if stitches are necessary......
What? That last one? Oh yes, you're right. That was not so usual. Usually I just look at Hugo, give him arnica and Rescue Remedy (I don't know why really, but it makes us all feel better) and cover him liberally with bandaids.
This time, a plate he was taking from a shelf had a suicidal moment, a moment of not wanting to have watermelon seeds span upon it, a moment of existential angst; and this sad plate jumped down off the shelf, and exploded into a million sharp, flying pieces on the counter. One of those nicked the flesh on Hugo's forearm, with much blood ensuing.
I did the Rescue Remedy thing, got out my trusty first aid kit & swathed the arm up. I had a boo at it a couple hours later & there was no denying that it was a gaping wound. Not too deep, but nevertheless, gaping. If it was a seam in a sweater, you'd need to re-do it.
So I drove Hugo to the pediatrician's evening walk-in clinic, so that someone who was actually trained in fixing gapes in people could have a peek at it. Verdict: no stitches necessary, let's just tape the sucker shut. So Hugo had his wound cleaned and taped shut by an unusually clumsy pediatrician. I hope the guy's not a surgeon. Hugo patiently put up with the bumbling repair job and he's as good as new (though he doesn't like the way his arm smells; he had some weird liquid put on to make the steri-strips stick on well).
He's currently mooching little sips of pale ale from Roo. It's medicinal. I think I should go mooch a few sips too.
5 comments:
Oh no!!!! I hate it when the little ones get hurt!! But it's so nice that stitches weren't given because stitches are traumatic!!!!
I totally get you with the Rescue Remedy. I'm assuming you meant the spray?? Because that stuff rocks the WORLD. I think Dy uses it, too!
~Jo
What is Rescue Remedy? I've just recently heard of arnica for bumps and bruises.
I'm thinking I should visit my local health foods shop for a talk with someone in the know before summer really kicks in.
The bikes are already out, roller blades are on the wish list...
It's just a matter of time.
Rescue Remedy in both the drops and the cream work wonders.
I've read lots of opinions about how homeopathic medicines can't work because there's nothing there to work, but the Bach remedies work anyhow. I can't figure it out, but then, I don't need to. ;>
We've been using them for, jeepers, over ten years.
Oh, glad to hear the the wounded one is recovering. I did stitches too many times when I was a kid, and hated seeing each one of my own four kids have to be mended. Ow.
Jo - I didn't know it comes in a spray. Is that better?
c.h. - Rescue Remedy is one of Bach's flower essence remedies and is somehow related to homeopathic remedies. I have the drops & for the kids I put a bit in a glass of water & get them to drink it. I take it straight under the tongue. It's used 'to comfort & reassure' after a stressful or traumatic experience - like if you take a fall off a horse, or you're in a car accident.
I can't wrap my brain around homeopathic remedies but I've had some success with them. Once I had a nasty ear infection which didn't respond to the dr's drops, but the pain of which disappeared following a homeopathic treatment. So long as I took my homeopathic remedy every 2 h for the duration of a couple days while my ear was healing, it was fine. When I missed dosages, it hurt something awful.
Perhaps I'm one of those people for whom placebos work too. :-)
Valerie - yeah, I guess this is part of being mom. I never had stitches as a kid & never broke any bones; I was a sucky, cautious kid. Hugo has already had a broken arm.....
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!