And over the past 18 months, there's been a flurry of interesting reports (see links at bottom) about the effects of prolonged sitting on our health.
The gist is this:
The longer people spend sitting, the more likely they are to die prematurely, regardless of their fitness levels (emphasis added)*Eeeeeeeek. It turns out that even if you're fit, even if you get lots of exercise, the more of your day you spend sitting, the greater your risk of premature death.
So that got me thinking about homeschooling, and our lives, and how lucky we are that we can try to counteract some of the damage of sedentary activities such as poring over Latin grammar and Algebra (not to mention spending too much time on the computer!)
Keep lessons short & build in regular physical activity breaks
Some of the research indicated that even simply standing up from a chair can counteract the negative effects of prolonged sitting. But why not do more? Simple chores such as emptying and loading the dishwasher, running downstairs to move laundry from washer to dryer, or crawling under the bed to rescue the latest issue of Calliope magazine are fast & simple breaks to get the body moving in only a few minutes before returning to our lessons.
Exercise while waiting
When teaching more than one student, it is not uncommon for one kid to get stuck and be waiting for assistance from the parent. A common way of dealing with this is to just advise the kid to 'move on to the next thing that you DO know how to do & I'll help you with the difficult thing later'. Or just 'read quietly & don't disturb us'.
Instead, how about suggesting a bit of physical exercise:
Run around the perimeter of the house.
Do 50 jumping jacks.
Get a skipping rope & start skipping.
If you keep a skipping rope handy by the door, anyone (including parents!) can quickly grab it, head out a few feet & just skip.
It clears the head and gets the heart pumping. And who knows? Maybe while the student is jumping and wiggling around, all of a sudden they themselves will figure out what they were stuck on & turn out not to need your help after all.
Get rid of the chair
Consider using an exercise ball instead of a chair. The gentle rocking motion requires your abs & glutes to remain engaged. And you can always roll away for a bit of a stretch. For those of us who hunch over a computer keyboard for excessive chunks of the day, stretching your upper back on a ball is blissful.
Or get an adult sized jumping ball like this. You can sit on it & hop between desk and bookcases and go in search of the missing book/pencil/ruler all on your hoppy ball.
Some students also really enjoy bouncing or wiggling on exercise balls during memorization drills or narrations or review & many report that they learn better when able to move like this.
Plan short & simple exercise sessions into your at-home lesson schedule
We've been trying a few sessions from Do Yoga With Me & so far they're great! Free, easy to follow and with a minimum of woo-woo.
Use a Wii Fit or similar for some quick physical activity at home
Use a treadmill if you have one. If you download audio books and listen to assigned literature readings (or Teaching Company Lectures) on headphones, you can exercise and get smart all at the same time.
Nature walks and nature study
A staple in Charlotte Mason style education, nature study is of course a wonderful way to not only anchor studies, but to provide a good dose of healthy exercise. Depending on the age of your kids and your academic goals, however, you may not be able to fit in prolonged outings on a daily basis. But there's nothing like getting outside, even for a brief time.
So encourage your kids to pop outside, smell the air, hear the birds. They can take a short walk, a quick bike ride, even a brief stroll through a yard - & why not rake some leaves, pick some weeds, carry one bucket of compost - these tasks are kind of fun when you only have to do a few minutes' worth & there's no actual expectation of 'finishing'. After all, you have to get back to your lessons :-)
Got more ideas? Please share!
& now a blurry snap of Amelia and myself on the chair lift last night. It was a great night for snowboarding.
Stay healthy!
**Sitting and screen time: how they affect your health
Sitting takes toll on body
Too much sitting after work harms heart
15 comments:
I don't home-school but I do have a dog sanctuary. Said dogs are always up for a walk - if I made multiple walks with different dogs part of the breaks in my day, we would all stay very healthy. Thanks for the post.
Excellent post, Hornblower!
Thanks for putting this one together.
I love the suggestion about sitting on an exercise ball versus a chair. I've been feeling the 'secretary spread' aka 'twitter butt' coming on.
The most important thing to remember is not to feel defeated, you need to continue exercising even if you are not able to accomplish as much as you hoped right away. You will eventually get there; you’ll start to feel healthier, and have a sense of pride in your commitment to your health.
cooking tips
I got a chuckle out of you SITTING on the chairlift...:)
Yeah yeah, I know there's no other way to ride the chairlift, and you were counteracting the sitting by the boarding...
I did read that article in the paper about the sitting, that was depressing....
I spend too much time on the computer, but it is many frequent visits a day, and the computer involves going down a full flight of stairs and then back up again to the main part of the house. Annoying most of the time, but I do try to convince myself that at least I'm getting a bit of exercise in the process.
I have hung a skipping rope by the back door, but it's not getting much use. I think it needs to be stretched across the doorway so I trip over it on the way out.
And unfortunately I've found that my bladder needs to be empty before attempting any skipping.
Add some Kegel exercises to the fitness routine....
One of the good things about dogs, they get you out walking on days when you could easily come up with an excuse not to.
One fun way I have increased my physical activity is by using our Wii fit while watching a recorded show. I use the running feature and it's great! We also just added the new Michael Jackson dance game to our collection it is quite a workout and fun!
I think playing music and dancing is a great way to increase activity too. We try to have "music in the morning" as often as possible!
I think it is vital to include walking outdoors as a daily activity if you can. Even if it is just to bring a letter to the mailbox, if your kids have a pen pal it's the perfect excuse to go out, and encourage reading and writing!
I know there are lots of things we can and maybe should be doing, so thanks for the reminder!
Roberta - you're so right about the dogs! They're always up for a walk. It's good for us & for them!
Btw - I recently met someone, who lives in Vancouver, who said oh, I prefer small dogs because I don't want to walk in the rain I guess she has her dog trained on a peepad thingie? Bizzarre.
cookiesANDclogs - thanks for stopping by.
'twitter butt' - SNORT!
I hope you try the ball. It's fun!
Karen - depends.
;-)
hey, it's my reality too. I don't think any amount of kegels will fix this.
British Columbian - Tell me more about the wii fit while watching the tv. So do you have two screens? How do you do this?
I'd like to try it because I don't have a treadmill but I've got a wii fit etc & this sounds like such a great idea!!!
Jazzie - thanks for stopping by & the encouraging words.
I refuse to resort to Depends!
I am sitting on the exercise ball as I type this, although I don't feel I'm getting a whole lot out of it, as the heels of my hands make a pretty good brace as I type.
Maybe I can do Kegels while sitting on the ball, while typing, while lifting one foot off the ground:)
I have to try the ball idea, now that I've gone back to work full-time (fortunately at home) and find myself stuck in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day.
Elle often has to do jumping jacks or hop on her bike for a few laps around the block or run around the house a few times. It's one of the ways to manage her short attention span (and preserve my shred of sanity.)
Have been listening to New England family whinge about the Canadian blast with its dangerous sub-zero temps and I wondered that I don't actually hear Canadians complaining about it. You guys are out enjoying it!
Ha! Just read the Kegel comments. We got a trampoline for Christmas.
Yeah. Glad it's not just me.
Thanks so much for mentioning our yoga site. It's very nice to hear such kind feedback.
Cheers,
David
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!