English Setters are often described as 'gentlemen'. Or even a 'gentleman's gentleman'. Which, if you are familiar with the works of PG Wodehouse, instantly conjures up Jeeves.
I've been pondering this for a year because while I knew that there was probably a reason English Setters are generally not the dog of choice for people who want to compete in obedience, I assumed the reason was that they were quirky and independent. However, a sneaking - & may I say totally unfair - suspicion snuck into my brain.
What if when they said "gentleman", they meant Upper Class Twit of the Year?
Or perhaps it's Barmy Fotheringay-Phipps? (pronounced Barmy Funghy Fipps, of course & again, well known to PG Wodehouse fans)
He's the source of the Kensington line.
Barmy: "I don't think I've ever been to Kensington."
Wooster: "Oh hullo Barmy. Yes you have. Your mother lives there."
Barmy: "Oh. That Kensington."
You can watch Barmy & Wooster here; the famous line is at around 6:40 & this entire clip is actually the first part of the first episode of the first series of Jeeves & Wooster with
I was starting to have Darwin say things like:
"Heel? I don't think I've ever done heel before."
"Yes you have! I showed you yesterday."
"Oh. That heel."
"Sit? I have never done sit before."
"Yes you have! You just did it a few seconds ago."
"Oh. That sit."
And every time he looks at me with great confusion I just sadly say "You've never been to Kensington, have you?" in a plummy British accent.
Now, as I've said above, I think this is grossly unfair. Darwin is a bundle of nerves and has a bit of OCD but he's coming along nicely & just before Christmas he finally started being able to take food outside. This was a huge breakthrough as before that he was so over-aroused in the presence of outside,outside,outside! that he couldn't eat. Being able to take a treat & eat is a good basic test for whether your dog is able to think and learn anything.
So that was in late November, early December. You'd think I'd have accomplished something by now with him. But nope. Sadly, he's been a neglected dog.
But all that's going to change. I've even written a song for him. Well, lyrics.
The song is Johnny Reid's Darlin:
Except, yanno, it's Darwin. Sing along with me:
darwin
you're really pretty crazy
i shouldn't be so lazy
and finally train my dog
darwin
the birds are all around here
you've lost your pretty mind dear
and i don't have a gun
taking me a clicker
bait bag in my hand
gonna train
darwin
we're gonna learn some new tricks
i'll teach you all the best tricks
and a recall too!
darwin
a tear is in my eye now
knowing i could try now
to teach it all to you
hey!
darwin,
i love you more than ever
i'm glad that we're together
darwin mine!
etc etc etc
pix from Osoyoos, September 2009
6 comments:
Ha, ha, ha, Love the song!!!
Lol - this post cracked me up! And is Darwin off leash in the last photo?? That would be quite a milestone!
Hugh Laurie perhaps?:-)
Oh no, he's on a long line & if you look closely he's tripping over it with his front right leg. Last summer it was totally out of the question. This summer - well, we'll see :-)
For some reason I had the song, well the original, stuck in my head last night, so I had to come back and sing your version again:)
I think I have found a new term, a 'kensington moment'. You know, when you think your dog has something down pat, and they prove you wrong.
Luna had a few of those on Sunday.
Weaves? What weaves? I don't see any weaves!
LUNA! Don't you go all Kensington on your people! And definitely not at a match or a trial!
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!