Bend it like Beckham - everyone enjoyed this. Strong young women playing soccer, conflict with parents and traditions, a bit of romance, loads of laughs, and a good soundtrack. The special features are a hoot. We especially liked learning how to make Aloo Gobi but watching the real Beckham trying to sing 'hot, hot, hot' was kind of painful. And Posh was really no better.
Enron, the smartest guys in the room - OK, first thing is that there's a stupidly gratuitous scene of a stripper & lap dancing. If you're not ok with your kids being exposed to this depiction of women, you'll want to preview & fast forward through that scene, which really doesn't add anything to the documentary. The other thing is that there's a lot of swearing. I'd suggest not skipping that - not that you really could as it's quite pervasive - if only to see how incredibly, arrogantly vulgar the traders are. I'm torn about this movie because it was OK as far as it went, but that's just it - it didn't go far. At the end, I didn't really understand more about Enron than I did before. There's only so much you can put in a 2h movie to explain how the US's 7th largest corp. failed, so perhaps that's why it feels a bit superficial. Or maybe it's because all the execs seem so superficial....
Frontline - Secret History of the Credit Card - good introduction to the credit card industry. You can view it online & the website has further reading and resources, as well as a teacher's guide.
1 comment:
Bend it like B. is one of my favorite movies. I'm glad you like it as well!
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!