Wednesday, April 04, 2007

this is how we learn

Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister
Invaluable for learning how government really works. Great humour, brilliantly and intelligently written.

Hugo and Amelia have watched Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister a ton of times. I'm guessing each episode has been seen about 5 times at least and I think it has to be that way to get all the nuances - & to memorize the really funny bits. If you tried watching it on TV ages ago and couldn't get into it, try it again, in chronological order. If my 8 yo can follow it, you can too and it is well worth it. I promise.

Abridged Tom Sawyer by Jim Weiss
A good abridgement, gets the story across and was dramatic without being too scary for Hugo.

Tomatosphere
Space Tomatoes!! Well, not quite, but if you sign up, you'll receive two packets of tomato seeds for you to sprout, germinate and grow. One packet is a control and one has been exposed to a simulated space environment "with temperatures of negative 80 degrees Celsius and low atmospheric pressure for a period of 18 days. This simulates a breach in the space vehicle’s storage system on a long-term journey in space." Plant the seeds, gather the data about germination & growth, & report back to Tomatosphere.

Project Feeder Watch Participate in an annual survey of birds that visit your feeders in the winter. You can sign up now for next winter.

So we have TV, audio books, and participating in hands-on science. Yup. All good. (This, btw, is how you homeschool when you're renovating).

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I wanna do Tomatosphere! I wonder if they'll let Americans participate. *sigh*

Melora said...

I've signed up for my space tomatoes! Sounds like fun -- thank you!

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!