Saturday, July 09, 2005

Where else would Hornblower be?


There are tall ships in Vancouver's English Bay & Hornblower is there. Here I am in the afternoon, by the Cuauhtemoc.

The day dawned miserable and gray, more like this:

(Fans might recognize this from the opening scene of The Duel, courtesy of Two Evil Monks.)

Five of the ships were moored at Tall Ship island, which was a barge anchored in English Bay. We got shuttled there aboard a boat. Here is my crew, looking as if they've just been pressed. Yes, it's Vancouver in July, and they're wearing their winter parkas.



We're cruising around the island, waiting for docking space and get a grand look at the Russian ship Pallada.



Here's Hugo, aboard the Lynx:



This is Lady Washington. She is a movie star. She was HMS Interceptor in "Pirates of the Caribbean".



Guess what? Lady Washington also has cannons.



Here, Amelia is demonstrating the below-deck amenities for crew.
This is at the Vancouver Maritime Museum; we weren't able to go below on any of the vessels.



Sun came out in the afternoon, and here we are aboard the Cuauhtemoc. Hugo is, I believe, preparing to repel boarders.



A view of Tall Ship Island from the shore.



And hurrah - the sunset battle!
Here's the Lynx chasing Lady Washington. They chased each other around and fired off their cannons.



A hyper zoomed picture.



Enjoying the battle from the shore. It was unfortunately a little too far away from our viewing area and the crew were all very tired, but still - a good time was had by all.



Information about the festival and the visiting ships, and way better photos of the ships, are all here.

8 comments:

Stephanie not in TX said...

Oh, oh, oh! I'm jealous! So jealous!!

You just don't see many tall ships in ... uh ... north Texas. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I shall not covet. I shall not covet.

The middle of Manitoba is as curiously free of tall ships as north Texas. Strange, is it not?

Poppins

Valerie said...

When I was a kid we got to see the tall ships when they arrived in Bermuda. I've got Dad's slides around here somewhere. Have to get them out someday.

Thanks for jogging the old memory bin.

The Crib Chick said...

Look at you! My goodness...you're gorgeous! Lovely children as well, btw.

Sorry, I know that's not the point, but it's always so interesting to put faces with Internet personalities.

Stephanie not in TX said...

LOL, the crib chick shames us. There's the proof that I was blinded by the boats.

Your children *are* lovely, and you are too ... although nothing like my mental image of you. For some reason, in my private cyberspace, everyone is brunette.

Randi said...

Love the pictures, looks like a great time!

hornblower said...

Oh you lovely people! Thanks for all the sweet comments. Come to Vancouver anytime!

Donna Boucher said...

Oh what beautiful pictures!
You're beautiful!

A day of fun and beauty all around!

Donna

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!