Monday, July 11, 2005

Not sure what I'm doing

I intended to keep on homeschooling right through the summer. My plan was that we would keep on doing a phonics (for Hugo) and spelling (for Amelia), and math (for both) in the mornings. I was prepared to be flexible and to ditch the plan the moment the sun came out, in favour of the all important beach activities. But I did have the intention to keep on trucking. But somehow, we've lost our path the last 2 weeks, and I don't even have the weather to blame as we're having one of the most miserable summers on record.

The problem is that when we fall off the wagon like that, our whole lives seem disorganized. There are piles of papers everywhere. There is knitting in progress everywhere. Toys are reproducing under the coffee table. I am going to the grocery shops a couple times a week and I still don't have the stuff for actual meals because I haven't made a proper list or meal plan. I keep buying bread, ice cream and berries, and then wondering what to make for dinner.

On the other hand, we have been healthy and happy.

Roo worked all weekend. This art installation is called Bifold. There are a bunch more panels to it but I couldn't get a decent shot of it. It's not meant for our deck - scale is all wrong.




Roo also had time to take the kids canoeing. Don't ask me what Hugo is doing. Could be he is trying to hide the slightly burned nose he got from the Tall Ships expedition, when his mama didn't put enough sunscreen on him.
Bad Hornblower. No gin rations today.

I have been feeling like I'm not accomplishing anything.
Did I paint like a maniac all weekend? No.
Did I take the kids canoeing? No.
What the heck was I doing? Dunno. Researching something for my novel but it just sucked my time and didn't get me anywhere.

Today we were all disorganized - yet again - because Hugo's tennis lessons were cancelled due to rain. We were dithering around and it took me all day to get the kids out the door. First they were playing; then they wanted snacks; then they played more; then they needed a drink.

Then they were doing this:








Finally, at 4 we rushed out to the library for more books and to the shop for more ice cream.

2 comments:

Randi said...

Sounds like my summer, big plans, not enough accomplished, BUT we are having fun!

From the pictures, it looks like you are learning quite a bit together-just not from a textbook!

I love the "feet" picture-very cute!

Anonymous said...

No gin rations for Hornblower? Surely you jest. The punishment must fit the crime and I believe you are being much too harsh. You can still have the gin, you just have to have it without icecubes as you must give those to your son to put on his sunburnt nose. That is penalty enough.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!