Sunday, June 12, 2005

Saturday headache

Well, here's something I haven't blogged about yet. Headaches. The 'debilitating, must close eyes and not move, don't talk to me, don't breathe near me' kind.

I took the children to their friend's birthday party on Saturday afternoon. Stayed to assist the hosts. Had a smallish headache half-way through. Biggish headache at the end. Took some of my 'Level 1: golly, this headache is getting annoying' medicine (don't leave home without it!) & drove the kids home. The effort of the 15 minute drive home was almost too much for me. Got home & promptly went to lie down for a bit.

Drifted off eventually. Woke up 2 hours later, with worse headache. Yikes. Bad news that. Cause if it was a regular kind of 'my god, do you guys have to be so damned LOUD, birthday party headache' it should have passed with the meds & nap. So I staggered up to get my 'Level 3: this might upset your stomach a lot but it will get rid of almost all headaches' meds. (Yes, there is a Level 4. It is a hoarded stash of stuff which not only gets rid of pain but also takes me to lalaland within about 30 minutes of taking. Only used for direst emergencies, and only when another adult is around to look after kids because I am absolutely not compos mentis on it. Level 2 is a pain killer/muscle relaxant mix which often does wonders, but this baby was way out of Level 2 league.)

Started feeling human about 45 minutes later. Just in time to go to bed. And that was Saturday.

I hate headaches but they are part of my life. I even had a CT scan last winter, just in case you know, it's not just a headache but a huge bloody tumor growing on the brain, or CJD drilling huge holes in there (which would explain a lot, really). But the news was good; the old brain looks fine.

I got new glasses. Yes, at the bright age of 37 I was prescribed bifocals. Lovely. Actually, this has helped a lot, because eye strain at the computer was a large factor in my headaches. But it sounds so incredibly 'old lady' to wear bifocals.

I've also had to fiddle with my computer display and have had to cut back the actual time I spend at the computer (a bit of a problem, that, when you're trying to write a novel). But the headaches still come.

I think I might get a different display eventually. It would also be nice to have an ergonomic workstation, since I know many of my headaches originate in my neck, and slouching like a pretzel for hours is not a good thing.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

This post struck such a chord with me that I created a blog here at Blogspot just to be able to reply. I'm usually at Happy As Kings at Typepad.

I've been doing the 'headache' thing lately, too, to the point that I'm feeling like a hypochondriac. My headaches are 'iced' with dizzyness, so it's as if I have a 'choice' of headaches. whee.

Such fun to watch the rest of the people in the world appearing to blithely go about their business.

Good luck with your headaches -- or better yet, without them. :)

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!