Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Butterfly update




I'm having my doubts about this whole enterprise. They spun their chrysalids & I've transferred them to the flight cage as per the instructions. But it's clear that some of them are looking really wonky. I'm not sure what they're supposed to look like exactly, but having a large chunk broken off & black stuff oozing out generally indicates to me a potential problem.

A handful of the brats still hasn't spun - they're eating and eating & turning into huge monster caterpillars but they aren't spinning into a chrysalis!!!! And a couple have clearly died while still in the larvae stage. Yes, I've done the Monty Python thing & they definitely are not just resting or sleeping.

If we don't get a fair number of cool looking butterflies, this will have been an expensive & frustrating experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!