During a recent attack of curiculitis, I ordered My World Science, specifically the Weather/Astronomy/Oceans and Coral Reefs unit.
The unit, student pages, and all the required texts (which I ordered from Powell's) arrived last week.
The verdict so far: just OK.
Part of my unhappiness is the spine books, the 'one small square' series. They are exactly the type of book which drives me mad because of how disorganized the information is. It is why I hated Usborne History. There is a main text but then there is tons of information scattered all over the page, in various fonts, superimposed on illustrations etc. It's all very messy to me. I can never figure out what order I'm supposed to be reading it out loud to the kids. To me it's hectic and scattered, and precisely what classical education is not supposed to be.
We have tons of supplementary texts, because I have done all these subjects already when A was younger. To me, supplementary means extra, enrichment, when you have time, when you were organized enough to make all your dinners for a whole week, if the kids think this is the most fascinating thing in the world. The key being, that they're optional.
But in this program, supplementary texts are really not optional.
There is a mismatch between the level of the 'one small square' books and the student workpages. These little books are very basic and the student workpages are quite a bit harder. They ask for information which was either not explained, or very briefly explained in the text. One lesson was looking for a definition of the word 'nebula'. I looked back and the word 'nebula' had only been mentioned once during the assigned reading for that lesson and had not been defined.
I wanted this primarily for my 7 yo and this is billed as a grammar level program; one of the signs of the grammar level is the 'poll parrot'. They retain & spit out information presented to them. What the kids are constantly saying during our lessons is: 'they didn't say anything about that in the text'. Making connections, extrapolating, digging further - those are logic stage skills; my daughter would be fine attacking it from that perspective. But then, the primary text is waay too basic for logic school kids. Both the kids are doing the program but it's not really right for either of them.
We also found an error in one of the lessons; an entire crossword puzzle was not laid out properly. None of the clues matched. I e-mailed the author & she sent me a replacement that same day. Points for good customer service. But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.....
I'll let you know how it goes. We've only done 3 lessons. We started with the Astronomy unit because it still gets dark at a reasonable time. Later in the summer, seeing stars means staying up most of the night. Then we'll do the weather and oceans. I thought we'd be done in about 6 weeks but it might be a bit more.
2 comments:
Ah! Thank you, you have just saved me some money and research.
What other science curricula have you tried out? :)
Great Science Adventures was my other foray into 'real' science curriculum. A wretched disaster. Life's too short to cut & paste! It all seemed way beside the point. Abandoned about 1/2 way through. Only good thing: dd still remembers My Very Empty Monster Just Swalled Up Nine Planets.
We pretty much unschool science & generally I'm OK with that. R is a geologist. I graduated in political science, but took a foray into biology and physics at uni. We have memberships at Science World, the Vancouver Marine Science Center, bird refuges, and the Young Naturalists Club. I'm also a board certified lactation consultant so anatomy/physiology/pharmacology all come up pretty often in regular conversation.
My 7 yo has been obsessed with creating a perpetual motion machine; he's also building rockets. Last month he was into pumps and siphons and created a bunch of contraptions with some old aquarium pumps.
The 10 yo meanwhile is more interested in ecology and environmental protection; again, living on the west coast of Canada, that's something talked about all the time.
We have always had real chemistry glassware for the kids to use (yes, even when they were very young). We still buy huge vats of vinegar and baking soda. I'm looking for some resources on some other reasonably safe household chemicals to mess with.
We've watched the Elegant Universe three times now. It's a bit weird having conversations about it with a 7 yo. We also watch lots of David Attenborough videos (they're BBC productions of nature shows & we get them from the library).
I wanted to try a curriculum because science is one of those things that my kids happily do all day, every day, and I wanted to give it some structure for a change. (kind of like WTM gave structure to our learning as a whole) I thought it might be a nice change for them to actually do something with me that they really wanted to do.
Nice to hear from you. :-)
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!