We signed up to go on guided walk in Burns Bog, an amazing place because it is the largest undeveloped urban landmass in North America.
Strike 1 against the trip: it was early in the morning. Not only did we have to abandon the 'schoolwork in the a.m.' routine, but we also barely managed to have breakfast, and I had to get a cranky boy out of bed after he slept through 2 alarms.
Well, I knew when I was booking us that it would be like that but I was seduced by the fact that this would be a guided walk, with a naturalist, for a lot less than the steep $ price that is usually required.
We had lovely weather, not too warm, not too cold. I had a nice visit with a friend and her mom on the walk. But there were some pretty out of control kids there. Not paying attention, running all over the place, picking plants, hacking at the bush, shredding bark off sticks & making a mess - all verboten because this is a nature reserve, and because this was a Young Naturalists Club outing, and we're all supposed to look and touch but not pick or destroy habitat.
The real kicker was getting home and having 2 kids melting down all over the place because they hated going there with those awful kids and they didn't learn anything about the bog!!!!! And it was waste of time to get up so early for this!!!!
Argh. Why don't I just stay home & poke myself in the eye with my finger. It would be less effort.
(the original Field Trip Blues)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!