Friday, May 27, 2005

Caution! Live Specimens Inside


We are the proud foster parents of 32 painted lady butterfly larvae. The arrived in the mail from Northwest Scientific Supply.

Aren't they adorable? (don't ask me why my camera thought the empty larvae food container was the thing to focus on)

Here's a blurry close-up of the darlings (courtesy of the same lousy camera)

Here they are being gently transferred to their individual bassinets (prefilled with a downy layer of vegetable matter upon which they will feast).

They should spin into chrysalids in the next week or so. We'll keep you posted.

Oh, and I think we're naming them all Bob (as in the Philadelphia Chickens song where the guy has 16 animals and almost all of them are named Bob....)

2 comments:

Randi said...

Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of butterflies! We did 10 once. They all lived, which was astonishing. I plan to raise more, but I keep *hoping* swallowtail butterflies will manage to discover this nice garden I'm raising *specifically for them*. (They've all ignored it so far, of course.)

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!