Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Bookstore Binge


For Amelia:

-for her Lightning Lit course:
Frankenstein
Ivanhoe
& a new reading copy of Pride And Prejudiceas the one we have (& which she's already read more than once) is too big & cumbersome for study

-& for fun Cranford

For Hugo:

Martin the Warrior
Artemis Fowl: Arctic Incident
Stormbreaker
& Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (pictured with Hugo's arm if you look closely. He is reading it right now& only dropped it on the photo pile for a few seconds with a finger holding his spot)


For me:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Odd Mom Out

What are you guys reading?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Just started Prose Edda after finishing the Harry Potter series. DS is in the midst of Sherlock Holmes and Black Beauty. DD... well, she's working on the last box of BOB books!

Vicki said...

Ooh, that looks like a great to-read pile!

I'm reading through Henning Mankell's backlist; I discovered him a couple of years ago after finishing the Steig Larsson books and wanting to discover more Swedish writers. Love this guy's books - they are great crime novels and were apparently made into a BBC miniseries at one point starring Kenneth Branagh. I am making myself wait till I am caught up on the novels before I watch those, though.

Next up on my to-read list are John Le Carre's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy", "The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa, and "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

C (9yo son) is reading "Genius Squad" (sequel to "Evil Genius" by Catherine Jinks), the first in Timothy Zahn's series of Star Wars novels, and "Ship Breaker" by Paolo Bacigalupi, which I also read and really liked. If his big sister manages to convince him, he'll read "Howl's Moving Castle" next.

And M (15 yo daughter) is reading "Pathfinder" by Orson Scott Card, "Prisoners in the Palace" by Michaela McColl, and "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest. All three of these were recommendations from our latest trip to Vancouver Kidsbooks. Once or twice a year we go out there and get an employee to walk through the shop with each of the kids recommending novels based on other stuff they have liked, and then we will buy one or two of the books and request the rest from the library. :-) The people there are great hand-sellers and so enthusiastic when a kid asks for suggestions. In case you're curious, the book we ended up buying on our recent kidsbooks trip for M was "Pegasus" by Robin McKinley, a really lovely teen fantasy.

hornblower said...

Thanks for sharing you guys! Lots of things to check out & put on our lists.

I'm esp. intrigued by the Henning Mankell.

Jennie said...

Oooh, I finished Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a few months ago. Really good. A little graphic in parts, too much so for my delicate natured husband, but I liked it.


Did you hear that Brian Jacques passed away this past weekend? A great loss. I remember reading the Redwall series as a youngster, and I'm eagerly awaiting the time when I can share them with my son.

Currently I'm enjoying Windup Girl, by someone with a difficult name to remember. And The Resilient Gardener. Both are really good.


Happy reading!

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!