Monday, May 04, 2009

A little more about the flu

First of all, let's deal with the word MILD.

When public health officials say the word 'mild', that means the person didn't require hospitalization; it means that the person is able to breathe on their own, is not on a ventilator, does not need an IV to be rehydrated, has not been rendered unconscious by the high fever.

That's what MILD means.

It doesn't necessarily mean "oh, I just felt a bit under the weather".

It may mean "I felt the worst I've ever felt but I was able to breathe. I stayed limp in my home for days."

There are a number of reports from people who have recovered who indicate they felt very bad indeed.

SECOND. The CDC in their press briefing yesterday indicated that the median age of confirmed cases is 17 years. This virus is hitting kids and young adults. This is quite different from the seasonal flu.

There are 30 confirmed hospitalized cases in the US (and as discussed previously, probably some more which have not been lab confirmed yet due to testing backlogs). Again, these are primarily older children and young adults. I would hazard a guess that if it were not for the high tech of our hospitals, with their ICU's and all the machinery and readily available Tamiflu, some of these would have been fatalities. This is surely an issue for the WHO, because if this virus eventually lands in countries without such sophisticated medical facilities, fatalities would likely follow.

And, for a great explanation of the rationale for school closures and public health recommends what they recommend, read this. It explains the measures taken for mitigation of this type of viral transmission. Really, go read it and then decide whether to scoff at the 'hysterical' public health measures.

Remember, when public health works, nothing happens.

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

You know I'm sitting here in America deciding where to be. I do think there has been some panic generated. My goal is to be prudent but not panic stricken. We've increased our hand washing, social distancing and decreased some of our trips for the children. Thus my 4yr old isn't going with me to the store because he can't keep his hands from his face. But even with these mild changes I'm a bit on the "freak" side because I'm even thinking about how to limit my families exposure.

ipsa said...

Thanks for your words, HB. In both posts. The dog comparison was apt and the term "mild" is certainly relative (especially if you have a pre-existing respiratory disease like asthma!).

I am germ cautious (not phobic) at the best of times. And I think that the best way to avoid a major outbreak is for everyone to act sensibly, follow Health Canada recommendations, and to take the virus seriously.

A cavalier attitude toward this virus will certainly exacerbate the problem of spread through the larger population. It really annoys me to see people laughing it off.

keptwoman said...

Actually Down Under, it's so mild it's asymptomatic in 30% of people, that's pretty mild.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10580110
That article is from New Zealand, but Australia has said much the same thing, lots of people tested as positive had no symptoms at all.

ipsa said...

You know, this is month and months later. But I have a nephew-in-law (38 years old, triathlete) who is in hospital fighting for his life from H1N1-related pneumonia. He has two little kids (under age 5) and runs his own business. They drained 500 mLs of fluid from his lungs via a tube they surgically inserted yesterday. They are using enzymes to break up the congestion that's not going any where. If this doesn't work, he faces a very serious surgery that will take him months to recover from (if he survives it). It came on suddenly after he had the flu and he has absolutely no underlying health issues.

Mild. Pfft.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!