Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rude, Crude, and Violent

but then so is the original.

We loved, loved The Reduced Shakespeare Company's The Complete Works of Shakespeare (abridged). I laughed so hard I got a stitch.



Hugo was really reluctant to watch this. In fact, we almost had a boycott on our hands because the last Shakespeare I inflicted on him was Helen Mirren's old version of As You Like It, which yes, has Helen Mirren in it and yes, she's a great actress, but NO, she never did look like a man. Not even remotely. Not. At. All. And that was all we could focus on during the entire play.

Now, for a great many reasons, the fact that none of these actors look at all like women, and yet they play women, does not bother us at all.

If you like Shakespeare and know Shakespeare, you'll laugh. If you know nothing about Shakespeare, you'll laugh. If all you know about Shakespeare is enough to know you don't like it, try it - you'll laugh.

4 comments:

ipsa said...

I was so hoping that Santa would see my amazon.ca wishlist and pop this very DVD into my blessed sock. I was disappointed, mildly. Because he did manage to bring me this little number. The Taming of the Shrew is brilliant and my current favourite (not sure if it's younger kid friendly... I'd have to rewatch it with that in mind).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation :).

For Rebecca, the old Liz Taylor/Richard Burton "Shrew" is pretty kid friendly. What they understand they find a hoot, and the other stuff goes flying overhead!

Is it just a coincidence that my verification word is "ingillsh"??!

hornblower said...

Rebecca - I'll have to check out the Shakespeare Retold. Looks good!

Becky - would you believe I've never seen the Liz Taylor shrew? Thanks for mentioning it. I think we'll watch it soon. I've only seen it live & the Kiss Me Petruchio version with Meryl Streep, which I love!

Heather said...

I started watching Shakespeare Retold with my kids and quickly decided it would be erm...a bit much (to put it mildly) for my two boys. Taming of the Shrew was Just Right! for their mama though. (or any other Rufus fans) ;-)

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!