Thursday, November 20, 2008

Teach a child to cook

On one of the homeschooling boards, someone asked about cooking curricula and how people were approaching this subject.

I generally don't like boxed curricula for anything and cooking is no exception. But darn it, these kids are both going to know how to cook before they leave my house!

So here's what we do.

First of all, when they were young, I did let them help me as much as they wanted. Even if it was messy. Even if it took forever. Even if I was dying of starvation waiting for the meal to be finished because someone wanted to keep sifting the flour and wouldn't let me have the big pot because they weren't finished with it yet.

The next phase of the training is the 'recipe of the week'. The kids pick out a recipe from a cookbook, let me know by Monday night what they want to make, and we make it on Thursday. The extra days are for me to get any weird supplies or ingredients and to get organized. I try to do this throughout the year, though honestly there are many weeks where we miss the cooking lesson. It's not a huge priority, just a small one, which we tuck in where we can.

To inspire the kids, I bring home lots of cookbooks from the library and we also watch cooking DVD's. Julia Child is a perennial favourite.

While prepping, we go over any techniques involved in making the recipe. I try to let them do it on their own as much as possible, even from a very young age. When they were really little, sometimes, I prechopped a bunch of the ingredients. The kids didn't mind, even when they were in the "me do it myself" phase, because I pointed out how on the cooking shows, the chefs usually had all the ingredients prechopped and arranged in little bowls in front of them. This is how a real chef works, I explained. They have slaves (or parents) to do the menial chopping.

I do let them pick the recipes pretty freely. Amelia has gravitated more to baking and desserts than entrees but that's ok. She has got to the point now where she has a pretty decent repertoire of cakes and cookies, and makes a mean omelette and pancakes - so we've got breakfast, brunch and desserts all taken care of.

Of course sometimes they pick just weird things.

 


Like these After Dinner Mints.

2.5 C icing sugar
3 Tbsp softened butter
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 tsp peppermint flavouring
food coloring - if you want these psychadelic mints, you'll want to find the 'intense' food coloring

Mix all ingredients well. Dough should be fairly stiff but still pliable enough to roll. Add a bit more icing sugar or cream for desired consistency. Divide into chunks to tint. Knead the coloring in. If you leave one chunk untinted, you'll have white mints too. Roll into rope about 1/2 inch in diameter. Cut into pieces. Let stand on waxed or parchment paper at least overnight.

 

3 comments:

Vicki said...

When I saw the first pic I thought they were the bizarre pickles which seem to be a staple of Japanese home-style cooking. We were never able to identify what the pickled item originally was, not just because of ignorance but because the pickles come in every lurid colour. Some of them turned out to be pretty tasty - I especially liked the bright yellow and neon blue ones. :-)

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing. I would have never guessed it possible.

Anonymous said...

I love the cooking lessons! I don't have (human) children - but I remember fondly my mother letting me "help" in the kitchen, though I'm sure she could have done it in a third of the time without my "help" - but I still remember my favorite - chocolate chip cookies, and I'd get to sift and add the chocolate chips. (Thinking back, sifting probably wasn't even necessary, was it... but it sure was fun!)

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!