This was Amelia's first foray into adult learning, complete with multiple choice exam & she rocked, getting 96%. I was also impressed with how easily she answered what to her seemed common sense questions from the instructor during the lectures, like 'what is the most important organ in the body?'. The other participants, all professional dog walkers or dog daycare staff, offered the heart as their answer, but Amelia answered right away that it's the brain. She almost managed to keep the 'duh' out of her voice too.
This is one of the mannequins. They have 'lungs' which you need to inflate, and a femoral pulse which you need to be able to find.
The dalmatians were another type of mannequin, similar to the chocolate labs but they had a fuzzy cover and their mouths don't open so you have to just pretend you're doing the tongue sweep. Their femoral pulse was a lot harder to find too. Each student got one dog to work CPR on but we switched around trying to find the femoral pulse.
Here's Amelia and a stack of dogs. Lovely compliant patients, these. We hardly ever had to muzzle these guys.It was a good experience, and we're both glad we did it. Our instructor was Dogsafe's founder and we found her a funny and upbeat instructor. The Dogsafe course is supported by the BC SPCA, and while more expensive that the St. John's Ambulance pet first aid course, I think the syllabus is substantially more thorough.
3 comments:
Sounds like a wonderfully interesting course. I think I will see if they have one around here. We are so far away from emergency vet services. I once was a vet tech, but I didn't have to learn CPR.
Hey there,
The park is certainly less busy than Hume Park and Rocky Point but on your average weekday evening, you could probably expect at least 5 owners at any given time. It is a huge open area though so you'd have plenty of time to make a quick exit.
My oldest Sheltie is a bit of a brat with other dogs too but he seems to do well at this park for some reason. I assume it's the huge area that makes him behave like less of an ass haha
Thanks Ashley!
Everyone, go check out Ashley's blog for photos of her gorgeous dogs!
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!