Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lacing up again

I've been under the mistaken impression that painting a house, weeding a garden, and walking the dogs constitutes adequate exercise.

It does not.

Not if you have liberal chocolate rations every day.

What really confounded me was the issue of fat migration. You know how when men age their hair migrates and starts growing in their ears and noses and creating a hairy poky sculpture of their eyebrows? So their eybrows often appear in a room about 30 seconds before the rest of the face makes it through the doorway? And how often at the same time, the hair on their head starts thinning? That's hair migration.

Fat migration appears from my observations to be more of a woman's issue but it involves previously pleasing areas of fat atrophying (so my low rider jeans just slide right off what's left of my ass half the time, and lets not even discuss boobage) and fat instead moving into areas such as the neck & belly. Like I want to look 6 months pregnant at my age. At least when I was pregnant I had boobs too.

But anyway, the jeans sliding off had blinded me to the reality of the weight situation. Somehow the belly hanging over the waistband wasn't making much of an impression on me until I saw a couple photos myself taken during the summer, and finally briefly stepped on a scale. And promptly shrieked and jumped off again.

Straight into the car and the mall to buy a new pair of runners and to resume my weekly Sunday step class - 1.25 hours led by a Japanese dominatrix. She cheerfully bellows at us and makes us count down from obscene numbers with her, and if we're not bellowing loud enough, she starts at the top number again, all while leading us through fiendishly complex choreography on the step. She can get a job training the army any day. I've also signed up for a pilates class midweek because I've always wanted to know what the heck pilates is. Will let you know (but please fate, no dominatrix for the pilates class....)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on all of it. I have to get back to the gym. I have been running sporadically but it takes a real routine. Your step teacher sounds like my kickboxing teacher: the face of an angel and the heart of a hired assassin. How do they smile and keep up with the torture?

Wendy said...

Pilates is a wonderful exercise program. It's based on the idea that by strengthening your core, you strengthen your whole being. Your core is the area you mention you'd like to reduce (your abs, your lower back and your buttocks). It involves a lot of long, slow stretching and strength training. It's kind of like Yoga, but without the pretzel postures ;).

Melora said...

I had that problem with a photo a few years ago. In it, my shirt bulged most unbecomingly where my belly met my jeans. I'm sure your solution is good, but I just stopped letting people take picture of me!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear me, yes, with the scale shrieking. Something happened at 40 that I don't seem to be able to undo!

The Victoria Home Learning Network said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ipsa said...

I caught sight of myself in a long panel of reflective windows yesterday... as I was walking.

There was jiggling in places jiggling is not supposed to happen.

And then there was shrieking.



And that was me that deleted - posting as an organization instead of myself. Ooops. The jiggling has evidently displaced grey matter. More reasons to shriek.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!