Monday, May 28, 2007

Dear Jim Weiss

Re. Story of the World volume 4

It's SOviet.

Not SoviETTE. It doesn't rhyme with serviette. Or majorette. Or baguette.

Oddly enough he can usually say Soviet Union just fine, but the moment he has to say that word on its own, it turns into a 'ette ending.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. But I love Jim Weiss so, so much, that I'd be willing to ignore that little faux pas.

Melora said...

So, his mispronunciation didn't bug you or anything, did it?
I'd love to have him read SOTW to us.

Anonymous said...

What's your overall feel for his reading of it? I am about to buy volume 2 and hoping his reading is as good as his other things that we have and adore...

Anonymous said...

My other comment is that the comment page is in Italian for me...good thing I know what I'm supposed to do, because I'd be lost..took me a minute to realize "ha detto" means "has said" or "Commented"

hornblower said...

navehelowife -

overall, I like them.

There's a weird thing about them which you only notice if you listen the entire CD straight through - which is how WE listen to them. When producing it, they really scrunched down the pauses between chapters so there's practically NO break between them. It sounds really odd because he'll finish one sentence and then just right away start with Chapter X.... You wouldn't notice it if you listen just to a chapter at a time, but it makes the CD's sound rushed if you listen to them the way we do.

Apart from this & some odd pronounciations, I love them. The fact is that without these CD's, we'd be really struggling with history now as I started to really HATE reading out loud to the kids. This has been wonderful - just put it on, pull out the knitting & relax on the couch with the kids.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!