Tuesday, March 13, 2007

this and that

GRUMBLING ABOUT:

I hate Daylight Savings Time. I am totally unconvinced it makes any difference in energy consumption - because most of the workers in this economy work in climate controlled and artificially lit boxes with either no windows or windows which don't open & the heat/AC and lights are all running all the time anyway. For pity's sake when is the last time you went into an office and the lights were off because it was light outside??

Yes, I can hear you in the back row - but what about when we get home? Now we don't have to turn on the lights as early. Oh puhleez. We will still be using the toaster, the oven, the TV, the computer, the stereo and the hot tub heater. The articles I've read which make a claim of energy savings in the home keep lumping together small appliances & lighting. Excuse me? Just because it's brighter outside I won't be using any of my appliances?

Far better if we all phased out incandescent lights - that's something I can get behind. But this shifting of the darned clocks just screws up my sleep.

I'm sure Roo will agree since he slept in this morning & was an hour late. On a Tuesday. We did switch the clocks so it's not that we forgot. Our bodies just weren't notified. We're not tired in the evenings, we're staying up late(r) and today, got up too late.

REALLY EXCITED ABOUT:

I met Barbara Wilson Clay! Yes. Barbara Wilson Clay IBCLC, researcher, lobbyist, author & all around lactation guru. Not only did I get to attend an all day conference with Barbara, I had the pleasure of having dinner with her. She's a wonderful, funny, articulate presenter with years of experience and an amazing breadth of knowledge. If you're into lactation & have a chance to see her, don't miss it.

LISTENING TO:

We've been having fun with the recordings of Terry Deary's Terrible Histories. I can't remember now who mentioned them.... but whoever it was, I'm grateful. (edited: It was Heather!) We've had the Terrible Tudors (oh gosh, SO gross and Hugo was a little unsure whether he was going to like this but in the end did) and Vile Victorians (good but somehow not quite as gripping as the Terrible Tudors - I think the body count & squelch factor were lower). What fun!

WATCHING:

The Blue Planet: Seas of Life
For some reason www.zip.ca sent us volume 3 & 4 before sending us 1 & 2 but it really doesn't matter. Narrated by David Attenborough with amazing cinematography. I agree with the reviewer who mentioned some cheesy sound effects - there are some scenes which end up being a bit funny because of the histrionic music score.

Monty Python Season 1
Yes, it was time to do this to our children. They were so absolutely astounded and delighted - it was one of those perfect moments where you look at your children and you're just so glad to be there to share it with them. Yeah, I know for some of you it's when they GET some literary allusion, or make a witty riposte in latin, or use their electronics kit to hardwire the solar panel and take you off the grid.... but for me it's when my kids laugh helplessly at silly comedy sketches with naked ladies.

6 comments:

L said...

My kids were mesmerized this weekend when we stumbled across a broadcast of And Now For Something Completely Different. I'm with you on that, and particularly enjoy hearing them belt out "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay..."

I think it's safe to say we will probably enjoy your history recommendations as well.

Heather said...

I'm glad that you liked the Horrible Histories. The Terrible Tudors was my favorite CD too. Hope you are able to get the other ones as well, they are a riot.

Crissy said...

I'll grumble right along with you. I hate this time change. It takes DAYS for my body to adjust. I'm late for everything, and I *hate* being late.
I'm tired.
I want to set my clock back.
*whine*

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I'm grumbling with you, too. I never knew what the argument for it was supposed to be, and now that I know, I'm unimpressed with their "logic."

So does calling one's father a dirty pig in Latin count as a witty riposte? :) My boys don't really get Monty Python yet. *sigh* I have hopes for the future, though.

Melora said...

I'll have to look for those Horrible Histories. K., at least, would enjoy some good gory history -- she is still talking about the Ottoman emperor Murad, who had his disloyal Frand Vizier beheaded and tossed out a window.

My kids aren't old enough for Monty Python, but that Will be fun. T. was badly spooked by the rabbit when he was small, and then we tried watching it again lately and I realized that there is a lot in it that is not age appropriate -- the Holy Grail castle, specifically, where the maidens are so eager for o.s. and spankings.

hornblower said...

Melora - not the movies! Mine aren't ready for the movies either. Try the old TV shows.

Roo slept in again. SIGH. We are not adjusting.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!