1. Do you really need it? Are you sure? Really sure?
Get up half an hour early each day for a week and meditate on the difference between need and want. At the end, if you're still sure you need it, put it on your shopping list.
BTW, don't be swayed by the argument that your kid needs the computer. Bunk. Check out books such as Jane Healy's Endangered Minds and Failure to Connect, or more recent articles such as this one.
2. Don't watch advertising. You'll never know all the products you're missing. And you won't care. Don't be so arrogant as to believe that advertising doesn't affect you.
3. Keep your current equipment well maintained so it lasts as long as possible. Canned air and a little vacuum are your friends - use them. Overheating is a huge strain on computer systems. Make sure you have adequate cooling in your system, and keep it dust free.
4. If your system is not working as you need it to, consider upgrades. Can you throw in more memory or a new hard drive? Do you just need an improved video card? Tweak your system as much as possible to delay making a new purchase.
5. Never buy the newest model; it's always overpriced and overhyped. This year's cheapie was the state of the art, top of the line just a couple years ago. For most of you, that is all you need.
6. If you're replacing a computer which has broken down, buy something similar. Don't replace a Toyota Corolla with a Mercedes.
7. Defer purchases as long as possible. The longer you wait, the cheaper electronics get. If you're keeping an eye on prices for a while, you'll know when you come across a great deal.
8. Consider refurbished or buy from a geek friend. If you know someone who has more money (or credit) than sense, don't show them this. Just wait for them to upgrade senselessly and offer to take their old system off their hands.
Tags:
5 comments:
All very worthy tips, Hornblower! Some of them especially so. ;) Thanks for sharing.
We're getting a refurbished Mac.
Thanks, Hornblower!
I'm in complete agreement, but I HATE number 1. :) That is Ernie's all time favorite question for ANY household purchase, and sometimes my answer is, "Dammit, of course I don't! But I want it really really badly." :D Ironically, he's the tech-junkie, so buying new computers is the one area where he's NOT likely to ask.
I think number one is the most difficult around here.
With a technology based business, it is so easy to convince ourselves that we *need* that new gadget!
Crissy
I scored a 6 year old mac powerbook from ebay for less than $200 several months ago. I will never buy a new computer again.
I may wind up with a few old macs, though.
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!