
We finished our taxes on Saturday, and spent the rest of the day running around getting things ready for party day Sunday. Roo got the gifts, and then went out with Hugo and Amelia to order cakes, pick up goody bag stuff, and get all the other supplies required. I can't remember what I did but I got tired doing it.
We have been having these at home parties, with Roo as entertainment, for years. Every once in a while, we'd stray from the script and have a party at a swimming pool, or some amusement place, but we'd go back to the "at home" parties because they have been the most successful and most fun.
Our great party ingredient is dry ice, which I picked up on Friday and carefully wrapped up so that it would keep until Sunday lunch. Roo puts it on the table during the lunch and it makes a great bubbly, foggy centerpiece and the kids think it's a hoot.
Roo planned a whole bunch of silly party games which they played downstairs (in the soundproofed media room) and outside. Hugo had a blast and is a very happy 8 year old camper.
But I'm a bit sad. For one thing, because I'm a pms'ing raving lunatic and have had 1/2 a headache (my left half, if it matters) for more than 48 hours, and barely managed to hold it together to get through the day. And for another thing, this may be the last of these types of parties we do.
The kids are too - I don't know -
There was also a bit of cliquishness happening with some of the girls who were at the party and that stung. Amelia felt it but was pretty busy as she was Roo's right hand woman and had lots of errands etc. She said she was glad she'd had a job during the party because otherwise she wouldn't have enjoyed it.
Hey - I know I'm maybe stirring up trouble here but if you're reading this, and your kid was at the party, please don't sweat it. I'm not writing it because it's anything that needs fixing. I'm writing it because it happened and that's how it is.
After the kids' party was over, we had a couple hours break to wash dishes, sweep the floor, wash the tablecloth, and get ready for Party II, with my parents and my SIL, her husband and 3.5 yo son. Everything was going according to plan until I picked up the phone to call our regular Indian restaurant for take-out (Royal Tandoori in New Westminster, for those of you local). Indian is both the kids' favourite food and always requested for special occasions. It was not a good time to discover the restaurant is closed for the weekend because they're moving down the street. Had a chat with the chef who was there just packing up some supplies. So sorry I can't help you madam.
Now this wouldn't be a problem in other parts of town but apparently we have relocated to an area absolutely devoid of Indian restaurants. You can't walk down the street without tripping over a Korean, Japanese, Italian or Greek, but Indian? Closest one after our old stand-by is a good 15 min drive away.
Ah well. We quickly regrouped, I placed an order at Bombay Bhel, drove out to pick it up & came home after my parents arrived, but before my SIL drove up. We had a lovely dinner (verdict on food - not as authentic as Royal Tandoori, portions smaller, but OK) followed by the 2nd cake and all was fine.
Lucky was a great dog throughout all the kerfuffle of having a house invaded by hordes. She slept through most of, gratefully accepted pats, and tolerated some rough handling.
Rachel the cat slept in a sunny bedroom and emerged at dinner time to be admired.
Roo and the kids finished the evening off by watching the Apollo 7 episode of From the Earth to the Moon. Lucky and I had a lovely evening walk.
And then the eight year old boy & I had an evening snuggle. He's not too big to cuddle with his mama yet.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday to Hugo!
Daniel turned 7 on Saturday, still likes to snuggle, and didn't have much of a party : ) . We have a tradition of small parties (preferably out of my house lol) or family outings instead.
I can sympathize with the headaches. Think perimenopause is giving me low-grade migraines, and they are stretching out from one day a month now to several. I'm fine for most of the day, but the last few hours are killers...
I'm glad to know 8 isn't too old, yet. It's fast approaching for James.
Happy Birthday!!
Dy
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!