Friday, July 15, 2005

Ack!

So. We were cruising through the absolutely brilliant Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter #3, and CD 9 (of 10) started skipping. I took it out of the player & discovered a blob of something on the bottom. I tried to wipe it off, took it under some running water - no go. It's something purply and looks like the ink they used to make the decorated side all fancy.

Since it was an amazon.ca order, I started going through the return procedure: got the mailing label online, sent off an e-mail about what's wrong & quickly dropped the parcel off at the post office.

A couple hours later I got an e-mail with an apology and a $10 coupon for my trouble. The e-mail says that normally they would have processed the replacement right away, but due to a technical glitch, they were refunding me my money (+ giving me the $10 coupon) and I'd need to re-order the CD's myself.

OK. I can do that.

Except, when I get to that page, there is no BUY NOW or ADD TO BASKET button! AFAIK, this happens when the item is out of stock.

Aaaaaaaack!

I have sent out a distress message to amazon but I'm still waiting to hear back. Amazon.co.uk of course has it but it's quite a bit more expensive to get from the UK. If amazon.ca really IS out of stock though, I'm going to try and get them to pay for it the order from the UK.

And yes - it is VERY worth it. Jim Dale is good. But Stephen Fry is great.

But if we have to wait ages, we might have to get Jim to read the end of the book for the kids (I read it when it came out so at least the suspense is not killing me).

There's also the option of me reading it out loud to them but I've been on oral reading strike since last fall and I don't really feel like coming off the picket line......

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hornblower,

I, the technology dolt, recently found a nifty way to get rid of skips in CDs while making compilation CDs for the kids on our Mac laptop which has a CD burner. We've had an old Peter, Paul, and Mary CD for ages that has skipped almost since the beginning one one of our favorite songs ("Weave me the sunshine"), but I still put it on 4.5yos' personalized (to accompany him to the hospital to get tonsils out the other month. Lo and behold, no more skip.

To test this out, I copied dd's copy of "Beethoven Lives Upstairs", which recently developed a skip causing sadness in the child's heart, and sure 'nough, the skip is gone. If you have a CD burner, give it a try (I know you're much more technologically advanced than I am -- you have pictures on your blog lol).

Good luck : )

Valerie said...

Stephen Fry reads HP????? ?????

[going off to look]

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!