Sunday, June 05, 2005

Curriculum

I need to spend some time thinking about curriculum because the BC Homeschool Convention is next week, and the one thing I try to do each year is drop in to the exhibit hall and pick up some treats. Much as I enjoy the comfort and simplicity of shopping online, sometimes you really need to see the product, and hold it in your hand to decide whether it's the right thing. Plus you get to save the shipping costs!

It helps, though, if I know what I'm looking for.

Grammar: No doubt I'll do what I have done each of the last 4 years, which is stop at the Rod & Staff booth and look at their grammar books. And then I'll begin hyperventilating and I'll need to quickly move away from the sweet little kerchiefed ladies. And then the bossy men will come over, seeing that their wives are botching it with a customer. And then I'll smile wanly and say "I'm sorry, it's just not quite what I was looking for. But this lady has been ever SO helpful and wonderful." (because he's looking kind of ticked and I worry she'll get beaten later). And then I'll buy a pad of printing paper for Hugo. They make really nice paper with lines in various sizes, and I find it much more convenient than using my printer to make my own. They'll slip a copper medallion with some bible verses on it into the bag.

I'll walk away once more, thinking that I can do grammar without a workbook. We just go over parts of speech and then one year, we'll dive into diagramming. Easy, peasy.

Latin: Minimus is lounging on my bookshelf, covered with a furry jacket of dust. I'm not sure if it's because the kids aren't interested, or I'm not that interested. The more I think of it, the more I think it's me. The comic book format appeals to both kids (they both like TinTin) so why have we not used it? I even have the audio tape that goes with it.

Should I look at Prima Latina instead? What about the Latin Road to English Grammar? (that's if I happen to win a lottery in the next few days; holy cow - that's an expensive program!) I think I should just hold off & give Minimus another try. You know, like actually use the program, instead of just buying it and leaving it on a shelf.

Math: TICK. No real worries here. We're pressing on with Singapore Math & I have no plans to switch. My local HS supply store carries it year round. However, Amelia sometimes feels that SM moves too fast for her and that she's getting confused. So we need to spend some extra time on some things. But I don't think this will need anything more than some paper & a few of Hornblower's braincells.

Phonics: TICK. Hugo is learning, & Amelia is reviewing, with Phonics Pathways and the Writing Road to Reading. Will not buy any more stuff for that.

Spelling: TICK. Amelia is learning through phonics review and through a giant word list of elementary spelling words.

History: TICK. We'll be using SOTW 3, with the audio book and activity guide. I also have Dickie's My First History of Canada and Hillyer's A Child's History of the World.

Geography: TICK. The Geography Coloring books arrived yesterday. I got 2, thinking that Hugo would want one of his own (even though this is the child who has not coloured a complete picture in his entire life). These maps are very detailed and will be great for Amelia. In fact, she started on the Glossary of Geographical Terms last night.

Logic: Hmmm. I've been thinking about getting some of those logic and reasoning puzzle books. Maybe I'll check them out at the conference.

Polish: Have enough resources for now.

French: Ditto.

Science: Hmmmmm. This is such a science rich home. I think I should stop worrying about this & just fly with this subject. We'll keep on with My World Science in the summer and I'll make a decision about whether to buy more units of it later.

Well, golly! I don't really need to buy anything! (I could get the logic books somewhere else.) Maybe I won't bother going.

Except.

I'm still looking for A Thomas Jefferson Education & my library has failed me! They have searched all through the Canadian libraries and come up empty. They offered an international ILL but that costs $15. Well, I can buy the darned book for just a bit more than that. So, I might go to the hall & pay my admission fee, all on the faint hope that one of the vendors has TJE. Or I could just order it online.

Hmmmmmm. It's starting to look like I'm not going to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way at the Rod and Staff booth. I did find one even scarier booth at my convention ... but I was too busy running away to remember who they were.

We have used R&S. It's excellent. My kids hate the constant religious references, though. We'd use it more if I retyped it all, substituting LOTR characters for the Biblical ones ...

Minimus is fun, but it doesn't teach Latin well. If you just want to learn a little Latin, have fun, and expose the kids, it's great. If you want to learn Latin well, you should look elsewhere. It just depends on what your goals are.

Post a Comment

Go on! Say something!