Anne Shirley coveted a dress with puffed sleeves.
The A that lives in this home covets a poncho.
Two of her friends have new ponchos and she wants one too. So why shouldn't Hornblower make something useful instead of working on a green blanket for which we have no real need?
We went yesterday to look at yarn, to ponder color combinations, softness, and the dilemma of 'to fringe or not to fringe'.
Originally I suggested something like the Yarn Harlot's poncho. (see the free patterns in the sidebar). I thought of making it in something with a bit of fluff, perhaps a tad of mohair.
The first store we went to is this divine little shop in Edgemont; it's a book store - a real book store, not just craft books - and has yarn in the back. I could spend a whole day there. We found some yarn we liked but at $15 a ball, that would make this poncho a little too financially stressful. And they didn't have enough in the color A liked, so I was off the hook.
We were driving by Zellers and decided to check out their yarn stock. They have piles of Bernat's eyelash and boa for $5 a ball. Much more my budget. Unfortunately, we couldn't come to a decision about colors, trims etc. The whole pattern also came into question because the YO's won't show in eyelash & I thought an eyelash fringe would look weird. Actually, I thought a fringe wasn't even really possible with eyelash but I've since seen a crochet poncho pattern with a fringe. I can't say I really like the look. We both think maybe a boa border would be cool. Perhaps knitted separately and sewn on? A is adamant that a plain edge is too boring so we need something on the edge, especially on the bottom; she's not sure about the neck yet.
Knitty has a poncho pattern similar to the Yarn Harlot's, but without the YO's, which I think might do the trick.
It seems most of the really good yarn stores are closed for the Victoria Day holiday so we're off to the not so good yarn stores. Probably healthier for my pocketbook anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Go on! Say something!